Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mo-town Wednesday niter

I've really got to start getting out of work earlier on Wednesdays when I head down to Morgantown for the evening ride there. It leaves promptly at 5:40. I dumped my car at 5:41 at Gunnar's house and tossed the bike together and rode down the hill. I probably was starting with an 8 minute deficit. The first 4 or 5 miles are generally taken at a lighter pace by the group and they go along the river at about 20mph, then when they turn off the river road, it heats up. I caught up with Betsy and my teammate Chris (Dr. Big Legs) after he'd cracked his saddle. There is really something to be said about having heavier components on a bike. A saddle is one place where stupid light is probably not the answer. They were only about a mile and a half from the turnaround point and I checked over the bike and found the problems for Chris since he wasn't sure why his saddle was not feeling right. I'd managed to close about 3 minutes on the group. On the run back in, I had to do another TT to catch the group back after Chris flatted and I'd stopped for him again. It was certainly not his night. He said to just go and he'd make it back in on his own. I didn't contest the state line sprint since I was still a bit winded but the climb up Rt 19 where I usually fell off, I stayed up in the front part of the group and going over the top the ol' Mavic Cosmic pro wheels carried me past everyone in a coast. I'm starting to feel better if I can use heavy wheels and still climb well. I've got a race this weekend at Valley City, OH , so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: