Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another rant.

Well, this past week and a half have been hell at work, so riding has suffered. I do have a day of hookie scheduled for Thursday to go to the Morgantown Grimpeurs ride though. One of my clients wound up with a bit of an issue last week. Their server kept bouncing on and off through the course of a day. I got up there after it bonked completely. I started checking out everything and when I looked at the network switch (the thing all the computers plug into so they can talk to each other) the battery it was sitting on top of was covered in what looked like roofing tar. What the hell? I started looking around at the ceiling and other things to see what or who might have done this. I knew the bank next door was doing construction, but that shouldn't have anything to do with our office. Upon picking up the switch to inspect the battery closer, I saw what happened. The rubber feet on the switch had actually melted off. Well, if you're around things long enough, I find you eventually see everything. Of course, the construction people denied any issues. They either crossed a wire or were causing such a draw on power that the battery heated up to a dangerous level. The law firm next to ours also lost their network, so this was definitely not an isolated incident on just our network. What really pisses me off is when people goof up (it happens to the best of us) and then refuse to accept responsibility for it. Just an admission of 'oops, I'm a moron, sorry' would suffice sometimes. It's an insurance situation, but I look out for my customers and if I screw something up, I don't bill to fix it. I like to think that other people would have the same scruples. I guess I'm hoping for a bit too much here. In the meantime, I've had quite a bit of loss of sleep getting everything back in order.

No comments: