Tuesday, February 12, 2008

LA

Well, I made it. I'm in LA in a Travellodge hotel right across the street from a Carl's Jr and a strip club. What a wonderful family type place. I'm about 12 hours away from probably one of the biggest meetings I've been in since I've started in business almost 20 years ago. Things look good at the moment, but I'm keeping myself grounded til we actually get a signed contract. My stay here will be too short a stay to bring the bike so I'll be going thru withdrawls by the time I get back Wednesday night. If things work out, I'll have to leave a bike on the west coast to make my life easier. Luckily I have an extra bike hanging around. I've got a new Fort ready to put together so the ol' Guinness Fort can go to Portland. The racing is fun out there. I had a couple decent races there last year. I must've created enough of an impression since I got swept out on a corner but a couple guys from Team Oregon in the last few laps. That bumped me out of the top 10 riders in the pack leading up to the final and after getting caught behind a crash on the final lap, left me back in something like 26th. The PIR race on Monday was much better. I was in every break and very aggressive in the face of the Fred Meyers team and a couple others even though I was on my own there. I was in every break except the last one. That was the one that finally got away. I hesitated for one moment and it was like 'thanks for coming folks'. If I'd known who was in the break of 5 riders, I would've made sure I made it. I was saving myself because I was thinking, there'd be another counter and I'd use that. Oh, well. I still pulled off a ninth place and a mid race sprint so it was a good day. This year, I should be able to hit the race more and once I learn who is who, I'll go alot better.

Anyway, back to LA. I'll be meeting one of the guys from i-generator from Portland, Oregon in the morning and then we're off to a meeting that will have big implications for both of us. This will be a good feather in my cap if we pull this off.

No comments: