Friday, February 8, 2008

Emerging from Slugdom

This is my first week of real training for the year. Through January, I road, did some lifting at the gym, a couple spinning rides, some time on the trainer, but it was mainly just low level stuff and nothing to really base any serious fitness on. This week though, I bonked for the first time of the year. There is nothing like the feeling of 'Gawd, what did I do to myself here' when still out on the bike. It was another good mountain bike ride, the first hour and a half was a steady ride til I finally linked up with the rest of the group. The final hour of the ride, I was seeing colors that I probably shouldn't have been and when the ride was done, I was finished. Too tired to hang out in Mo'town to watch the superbowl. Too tired to go get something to eat. Too tired to do anything but sit there and be tired. And that was tiring. Later that night, I found out what the real issue was as the flu hit. Monday was a write off, but I can tell my body is working well when something like a nasty hit of the flu is gone in just 1 day.


Through the week, I was actually able to begin ramping up the efforts and doing 2 workout days. I'm feeling it now and I think I better lay off today and only do a single, but the legs are responding. I'll know how well on Sunday at the ride. On my Wednesday morning spinning ride, I got a nice suprise there. It seems that one of the soigneurs of the Toyota-United team was there. She had on a pair of Coor's Light shorts. After my remark of 'there's some old school shorts, she said that she used to work for them. She apparently has worked with several of the top pro amercian teams over the last 20 years. Wow, a local doing this and I never knew it.

Wednesday for work, I was supposed to have a conference call for work. This was a big one as it could decide if I'll be doing some work directly in the bike industry. Unfortunately it got held off til Friday. If all goes well today, I'll be hopping on a plane for the Amgen tour for a few days. Maybe I can bump into the Toyota-United girl again. If it goes better there, I might well achieve my goal in life of getting paid to play with toys. I'll stay on with the computer consulting business (it's still pretty lucrative. to the layman, it looks alot like goofing off). I'm raising the caffeine levels to just the right point now and got the phone all ready and warm. I'm hoping for a good one.

No comments: