Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Al 'I can do it all' Oliver

Well, these past couple weeks have been fun. I can add a few of these to my list of things I've done in life. Others are just padding to the existing entries on the resume. I'm feeling like Al Oliver from 1970s Pittsburgh Pirates fame. He was an outfielder who never really got his due, but was on the 1971 World Series team as well as several divisional championship teams. At one point, he did claim he could do it all, hence the nickname. That followed him all the way thru to his retirement. I never intend on retiring so if this follows me, I'm in for years of being hassled about it.

1. Hanging drywall - My brothers and I did an entire room for my mom this past weekend. It's a pretty big room, but we got the electrical wiring run, boxes in and all the wallboard up. It's also cable ready too! I might look into doing the plaster work as well. Happy birthday, Mom!

2. Plumber - This one, I'm not as thrilled with because it was unexpected and it definitely cut into riding time. The clog in the pipes seems cleared, but I'll probably run the snake thru again just to make sure. I've replaced water pipes before at the family store, but clearing the drainage pipes to the line hookups at the road is a new one. I don't think I'll look to do this professionally, but it did save a several hundred dollar house call by a real plumber.

3. Rumor monger/Conspiracy theorist. Now this one was fun. There is nothing quite like taking a bright young mind and adding to it a nice dash of paranoia and reality. I've actually done this before, but this past week, I think I might've sent the girls at Starbucks in Greensburg completely over the edge. By the time I was done with my brief lecture, they were pretty much afraid to use their cell phones, computers and even drive their cars down the street. All I did was to tell them what is capable of being done with the technology that we all take for granted in everyday life. There's now a few more people in the world who will be forever looking over their shoulders.

4. Political observer. This is another one where I've been practicing for a while, but can I pick them. I might have to get a job at Vegas doing the odds for this venue(They bet on anything there). I was able to pick up on the latest developments in the current election season and give accurate responses from the other candidates to the initial stories. Even down to the level of indignation they were dealing with. I doubt I'll ever have a serious job in this given my previous entry here, but I've gotten pretty good at reading situations in current events. I tend to be on the conservative side of things (please don't read that as Republican, there is a BIG difference) and just love having the little coffee shop discussions on world events and the hows and why of their developments. It never ceases to amaze me how most people are only able to look at one narrow view of things and just cannot break free from it.

5. Meeting girls at coffee shops. Actually, I've gotten alot better at this lately and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the idea of not starting a conversation with the 'trying to pick her up' motive behind it. I remember over the years the biggest problem was the opening line. Without the pressure of 'hey, I'd like to get her number' it just seems much easier. Damn, I did forget to get Jessica's number though. I don't think I can put it down to just being myself. Refer back to number 3 here for this. I just have too much fun in that department sometimes. Maybe it's just I'm now more relaxed with myself. I'll have to go get a coffee and think about it.


All this and I make a pretty damn good cheesecake too!

No comments: