Sunday, April 6, 2008

Time to recharge the body

Well, I found what has been dogging me. My body was giving off a few small signs of problems, but today, it gave me a much clearer signal. I thought my issues lately were being caused by lack of road training and the body being used to single speed mountain biking. Today, the body gave out in a race after 5 miles and there were a few muscle pains that suddenly showed up not long after. The ol' chronic fatigue thing is giving me the early warning signs. Luckily, I'm now fully awake to this matter. This seems to be a fairly common thing with endurance athletes. Over the years, I've found the things that kill me are stress at work and a calcium deficiency. A few years back, I wound up flat on my back for a month due to an attack. It was bad enough, that for me to get up from bed and go to the kitchen, all of 12 steps in the small apartment I was living in at the time, and make a bowl of soup, I would then be too tired to eat the soup. After a month of intense vitamin therapy, I did feel myself coming back around, but I still wasn't quite ready for much. It was then suggested by a friend that I add some Calcium and Magnesium to the fray. So, I popped out the the local witchcraft store (a cool little place called Nature's Way in my parts - any Gary Larson fans in the house?) and got a bottle of each. Now, I am a big believer in vitamins. I also realize that they are not a magic pill and that it takes a bit of time for these things to take effect. I was shocked that after 2 days of taking the added items to the vitamin recipe, I suddenly felt a massive power surge in the body. That weekend, I did 2 rides of 2 hours each and felt pretty good afterwards. It was explained to me that sometimes, when the body is depleted of something it needs, all of the sleep in the world isn't going to do much good if you don't make good on that depletion. Your body can be just too tired to sleep properly. In reflection of the past years, I have seemed to go in cycles. Usually the drop tends to go hand in hand with me changing the vitamin stew or stopping due to running out and forgetting due to the workload to restock. Besides the calcium and magnesium usually in a mix called Cal/Max, I also have relied most heavily on a product from Enzymatic Therapy called Fatigued to Fantastic. There are several different products in that specific line. The one I've used is the Energy Revitalization system. These have never failed to bring me back from the brink once I discovered them a few years back. The best thing is you don't have 8 million pills to take for it. One caplet and a powered mix that tastes pretty good if you toss in a capful of lemonjuice concentrate. Gotta re-order a batch of this stuff. Last year, I'd tried another product that wasn't too bad on the vitamin pills, but the recovery drink was good. Rapid Recharge was a good one, but the handful of pills for the vitamins just didn't do it for me. I'm online right now ordering up the Enzy products. Email me and I can let you know where to get the stuff pretty cheap too. Much less than what you'll see it at the local store for too. If you try them and I referred you, email them and say so. I'm trying to get some free stuff.

No comments: