Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ahhh, Portland

Ever since I went out to Portland for cross natz a few years ago, I've made the trip back there every year. One interesting thing though is I don't know what it is like to race on the west coast in the sun. From Napa thru the Hillsboro Cross Crusade last year, I've had to deal with a freakin downpour on raceday. Hopefully this year will be different.

I didn't actually plan it this way, but my trip (which is doubling as a work trip, gotta love the tax code) begins the day before a twilight criterium right in downtown Portland. I love these things. The last race I've done like this was Williamsport, PA a few years ago where I was strong enough to get beat up by the Alliance Environmental guys. I still had a decent result, but I felt I had ridden one of my strongest races. To top it off, it was in a downpour. If I had know I was dashing over wet manhole covers, I don't think I would've been quite as bold. But, back to this race. I'll do the Cat 3 race and then if I have a decent race, I'll see if I can jones for an entry in the big race. It's an OBRA race so maybe I can swing it. If I'm cooked after my race, I'll be able to sit and have a beer along the course with some friends who are having a course side party at one of the schools along the course.

Following the races Friday night, the next day some friends and I will be taking a trip out to the coast. The last time I was out, we tried to make this run, but wound up killing too
at the air museum where the Spruce Goose is located. This plane is one of the largest ever to be built and was the brainchild of Howard Hughes. He believed enough in this project that he spent more than a million dollars a year to keep it flight worthy up thru 1971. The amazing thing was they had one of the remaining SR-71 Blackbirds there as well. It fit really neatly under the wing of the Spruce Goose. Now the SR-71 is a pretty big jet considering it only seated a couple crewmen. It was all engine and fuel tank (plus a few spy cameras). It was completely drarfed by the Goose. There was alot of other cool jets and planes along with a nice collection of armored vehicles from past wars. It was neat to see a Russian T34 tank from World War II. This tank kicked the shit out of the Wermacht then. Nothing fancy. Just engine, a few hand cranks, and a big gun. Sometimes simplicity does work.

And at some point, through the week, we of course have to hit a classic buger stand that is in Portlandcalled Giants. The first time I was out, my friend Chuck and his wife said we had to go there and get there ultimate burger. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE IF YOU ARE NOT REALLY HUNGRY. These things are huge. Imagine a half pound burger, then lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup or some sort of sauce with an large egg on it. I could feel the arteries begin to lock up before I was half-way through this thing. Past that, it was a pretty good burger. I would say this would be the best 'we're seriously drunk on a saturday night and i bet you can't eat one of these' burgers I had. Forget the fries, unless you want to use them to sop up the grease off the burger.

Anyway, enough rambling. I've got to pack the bike up and be at the airport in about 7 hours.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

No comments: